community support services
Services for Individuals & Caregivers
The Dorothy Ley Hospice offers a variety of services to the individuals we serve and their family members, who are involved with both our Community and Residential Programs. Our programs and services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs of individuals living with a life-limiting illness. Many of these services are also available to caregivers, close friends and the bereaved. There is no cost, thanks to the generosity of our donors and government funding.
Determined by the unique needs of each individual our Care Coordinators provide the following supports:
- Conduct an assessment and develop an initial Care Plan
- Facilitate Advance Care Planning
- Provide ongoing psychosocial support
- Initiate referrals to hospice services
- Facilitate healthcare navigation to link with other support agencies i.e.transportation services
- Provide information and education on end-of-life issues
- Advocate for increased services
- Liaise with Community Palliative Care Physician
- Liaise with the Residential Admissions Coordinator when transition into our Residential Care Program is planned
For information about our specific wellness services, please click on the following links
The practice of self-care is an integral aspect of a individual’s overall sense of well-being. Our wellness services provide care that can augment traditional pain and symptom management and be experienced as restorative and relaxing. Individual wellness services offered include complementary therapies such as Therapeutic Touch, Reiki, Massage, Yoga and Acupuncture.
For many, spirituality is an important part of living and we understand that personal values, beliefs, traditions, and rituals are as unique as a thumbprint. Spiritual Care support consists of offering an opportunity to explore the psychosocial-spiritual dimensions of life – those aspects concerned with meaning, purpose, values and beliefs. Spiritual Care support is for all, whether religious or non-religious.