community support services
Services for Individuals & Caregivers
Care Coordination and Counselling
Dorothy Ley Hospice Care Coordinators care for the whole family. The person with illness, family caregivers and children. We assist individuals, family members and caregivers, and children to understand and cope with the emotional, psychological, social, spiritual and practical challenges that may arise when experiencing a life-limiting illness, or a death. Determined by the unique needs of each individual, Care Coordinators offer the following supports:
- Care Coordination & Advocacy: The health care system is not always easy to navigate. Our Care Coordinators are knowledgeable of and connected to many health care and community service providers to help make sure you have access to services that can help. We work closing with Home and Community Care Support Services and the Dorothy Ley Palliative Physician Team to ensure your care is coordinated and integrated.
- End of life planning and advance care planning: We support and facilitate conversations about advanced care planning and end of life planning. We help you to think about and communicate to your loved ones about what is important to you given different situations. Exploring important pieces of your care such as who should be your substitute decision maker if you are no longer able to direct your care?
- Counselling: In addition to the physical impact, living with a life limiting illness can take a toll emotionally and psychologically. Hospice provides supportive counselling to help individuals and caregivers when some extra support is needed.
- Information and education on end-of-life issues so you and your family are prepared and know what to expect.
- Supporting conversations with children and young people: Communicating with children about illness, death and dying can be very challenging for parents or loved ones. Research shows that children and young people are better able to cope with death and dying when they have age appropriate information and are included in conversations and the process of illness. Dorothy Ley Hospice Care Coordinators are available to support families in communicating with their children about illness and dying. Providing education to parents on what to expect from children and youth when having these conversations and exploring their feelings.
- Respite: Care Coordinators can match your family with a volunteer to be with your loved one in the home, providing a break for family caregivers.
- Companionship to reduce isolation through a supportive network of compassionate and understanding hospice volunteers. Care Coordinators will connect you with a trained hospice volunteer for companionship (conversation, arts and crafts, outings, reading etc) and to support your independence at home.
- Support transitions into Residential Hospice care if and when that is needed
- Legacy leaving projects: Dorothy Ley Hospice Offers a range of legacy projects that you and your family can engage with, including clay handprints, memory jars, letter writing, Legacy Trees and much more.
Palliative Physician Care
For Physician use only. There are specific requirements to be eligible for the DLH Community Physician Team program and referrals must be sent from your doctor.
For more information about the Community Physician Team,
please contact our Community Care Navigator
- Individual Spiritual Care sessions for psycho-spiritual interventions and care, clarification of ethical issues, and exploring strengths and existing connections with self, others and meaningful aspects of life
- Support for loss and grief
- Opportunities for prayer, meditation and reflection
- Support for Life Review and other legacy projects
- Connection to local faith communities and clergy
- Facilitation of ritual and ceremony design and support
Increase resilience by enhancing self-kindness, connection and mindfulness. Learn about the science of self-compassion and engage in mind-body techniques, self-reflection and wellness practices. Share experiences with fellow attendees. Open to caregivers and bereaved. For bereaved folks, we recommend attending grief support sessions before attending this group.
Minimum of 6 people are required to run this group. This offering is open to caregivers, bereaved, and individuals with a life-limiting illness. 7-week course, held online via Zoom. Some prerequisites apply for this program. Contact us to find out more
Self-Compassion Circle Practice Group
A group for past participants of the Self-Compassion Circle that offers opportunity to practice the self-wellness practices, mind/body interventions and reflections introduced during the 7-week Self-Compassion Circle program. The group offers guided practice and an opportunity to connect with others actively engaging in self-compassion.
For more information about spiritual care offerings, please contact our Community Care Navigator
Wellness Day Program
Our Wellness Day Program is a supportive service designed for those living with a life limiting illness and provides an opportunity to meet with others in similar circumstances.
In person: Weekly on Tuesdays
Online: Weekly on Wednesdays
Wellness Day In person
Participants gather to share in a light breakfast and circle check-in which offers the opportunity to share the highs and lows of life and to give and receive support.
As the morning unfolds, participants can expect to experience camaraderie and new friendships, conversation and laughter, learn new skills and engage in a variety of activities such as: games, cards, arts and crafts, guest speakers, music, gentle exercise and so much more.
Additionally, wellness volunteers are able to provide relaxation through some of our wellness services such as Therapeutic Touch®, Reiki and Aroma Touch. Pet Therapy visits are also incorporated, along with a great lunch!
If you are someone who would enjoy meeting with others, a change from your usual routine and providing your family caregivers a ‘day off’ this is the place for you!
Wellness Day Online
Participants who prefer not to leave home are able to gather for a shorter morning together to engage in a check-in dialogue, play some trivia and explore music together, all from the comfort of your own home!
Guided Meditation Recordings
- 6-minute meditation
- 11-minute Body scan meditation
- 30-minute meditation
Individual Wellness Services Offered
Therapeutic Touch® is a holistic wellness therapy that incorporates a consciously directed process using the practitioner’s hands
to facilitate wellness and to bring about balance and harmony to the recipient. Therapeutic Touch®, can promote a relaxation response, reducing anxiety and stress. It can help to manage pain, improve sleep and foster a general sense of well-being. The practitioner can use a light touch or no touch at all. The individual receiving Therapeutic Touch® remains fully clothed and can be seated or lying down in a comfortable position. Therapeutic Touch® can also be offered remotely.
Reiki: is a holistic wellness therapy that involves the laying on of hands directly on or just above the body by a certified Reiki practitioner. Universal energy is offered to the recipient to help elicit a relaxation response. People often experience feelings of peace and an improved sense of well-being after a Reiki treatment. The individual remains fully clothed and is usually lying down in a comfortable position. Reiki can also be offered remotely.
Aroma Touch: is a gentle touch to arms and hands and/or lower legs and feet. Very lightly scented essential oils or fragrant free oils are applied to help reduce stress and anxiety. The individual remains fully clothed and is usually seated or lying down in a comfortable position.
Art Kits: Art Kits provide therapeutic and mindful activities to help people calm their mind and thoughts. Each kit comes complete with the instructions and all supplies necessary to complete the mindful activity in the home. There are a variety of kits available including Kindness Rocks, Record Mandalas, Tibetan Prayer Flags and Word Marbles.
Group Wellness Services Offered
Yoga Classes:The yoga we offer focuses on relaxation and rest, and is inclusive of all abilities. Yoga offerings include: restorative yoga, yoga Nidra, and Pranayama breath work. Some offerings can be done from the comfort of your bed.
Meditation Groups: Guided meditations and body scans are offered to enhance relaxation, groundedness and clarity. Simple techniques involving body, breath and awareness are used to help reduce stress. Meditation is an individual process and everyone’s experiences will be unique.
For more information about Wellness Services, please contact our Wellness Coordinator